Albany, New York
Timothy B. Thornton joined the firm on June 15, 2022 as an “of counsel” attorney. He was formerly a partner at the firm of McNamee, Lochner, PC, where he had served as Chair of the Trusts and Estates and Elder Law department for more than 20 years. His practice is concentrated in the areas of Probating of Wills, Estate, and Trust Planning and Administration and Elder law planning. He also has considerable experience in the areas of Estate and Gift tax planning and real estate matters.
Mr. Thornton has represented several trust companies in estate and trust matters, including Bank of America and its predecessors Fleet Bank and State Bank of Albany, the former Chemical Bank, Trustco Bank, Key Bank, Ballston Spa National Bank and several others. He has represented numerous families and individuals as well as family-owned businesses.
- Estate and Trust Litigation
- Estate and Trust Planning and Administration
- Albany Law School, Albany, New York
Juris Doctor – 1970
- Union College, Schenectady, New York
B.A., Bachelor of Arts – 1967
- New York, 1971
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1971
- Former Director of the Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York
- Former Chair of 5000-member Trusts and Estate Law Section for the New York State Bar Association
- Fellow of the New York Bar Foundation
- Member of Select American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Washington D.C.
- The Use of Trusts in Estate Planning – Fleet Bank (Fleet Investment Services) (1992)
- Estate Planning and Will Drafting and Medicaid Planning – WMHT (local Public Television station) (1994)
- Meeting the Costs of Health Care with emphasis on Medicare and Medicaid
- Techniques for Avoidance and Minimization of the Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax and Leveraging the GST Exemption Society of Certified Public Accountants (1994)
- Numerous presentations as Speaker at New York State Bar Association Meetings
- Counsel, Past President of St Andrews Society of the City of Albany Counsel, Bethlehem Ice Group, LLC
- Numerous presentations at local nursing homes and public television programs.
- Listed in Super Lawyer- Estate Planning and Probate, Trust and Estate Litigation, and Real Estate
- Upstate New York Edition of Super Lawyer Magazine Awarded consecutively from 2007 -2019
- AV Preeminent Rated Martindale Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America Awarded since 1989
- International Who’s Who of Professionals